Saturday, June 19, 2010
Ship Island
Yesterday I took the ferry out to Ship Island with a couple friends from work. This is one of the barrier islands 11 miles off the coast of Mississippi. It takes about an hour to get out to it and no, the oil is not there. The water is cleaner than where I live, though, so you can get in and swim. There is also an old Civil War fort on the island called Fort Massachusetts as well as a snack bar and shaded pavilion.
On an unrelated note, this is a Biloxi sunset from my front porch. Enjoy.
On the way out to the island there were a ton of pelicans. They sit on top of the poles that are marking who-knows-what out in the Gulf.
This is a fishing boat we passed. Apparently we don't like these because the particular fish it catches and/or method used to catch said fish really disturbs the environment. It was hard to hear the overhead speaker so I'm not clear on the details.
Coming up to the island you see Fort Massachusetts first.
Closer view of the fort.
Friendly ranger that will take you on a free tour of the fort. I passed, straight to the beach for me.
You walk about 1/3 of a mile to the beach along a boardwalk. This is what it looks like most of the way.
Someone carved Spongebob into the sand!
Looking down the beach. There is a tower where lifeguards monitor swimmers. On the way out you're told to shuffle your feet as you walk in the water to scare up the stingrays so they don't sting you. I didn't do this and I was fine. Also, there was a kid catching baby jellyfish right near shore...I'm starting to think this water isn't so safe. It sure was warm though!
For a fee you can rent chairs and umbrellas. The only shade on the island is the covered pavilion so it's not a bad idea. Unfortunately it costs $20 for one umbrella and two chairs. I'm too cheap to pay that!
On the ride home dolphins were jumping in the wake of the ferry. I was only fast enough to catch this one but there were two jumping together.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment