Monday, June 7, 2010

The Cemetery and Such

I have three days of in a row this week so I thought I'd wonder around the streets by my house and take some pictures. I started in the cemetery. The oldest grave I found was of someone born in 1812 that died in 1895. Sadly, there are a lot of teenagers and children buried here- some of them very recently, like three months ago recent. Also, lots of gravestones have pictures on them of the people laying underneath, it's weird and sad and creepy.

The cemetery is one street behind my house. I come here a lot to walk the dogs and ride my bike. I was unaware, until today, that there was a bee problem.

The people of Biloxi love them some Mary. It's kind of hard to see here but there are 7 statues of Mary just in this one picture, which represents less than 1/4 of the entire cemetery.

I stumbled across this and thought perhaps the Brown family could invest in one so that we can spend eternity together.

But then I looked inside...you can't go in, I tried. You can, however, peak in the windows. The silhouette you see is an angel standing on a table. Resting at her feet is a large key ring with several huge keys on it. I'm talking BIG skeleton-key style keys. Why on earth would you need a key to a grave?? I left immediately and decided not to pursue a Brown Family Monument. Or maybe if we just don't have keys...

One of several amazing trees in the cemetery. This one happens to be my favorite.

Another tree, obviously.

A grave marker peeking around a stump. Kind of cute in a non-traditional sense of the word.

And for those of you who are wondering, no, the oil has not hit here yet. My beach is behind the barrier islands, though. From what I hear some of those have some oil blobs but I think they were still part of Alabama.

I'll keep you posted. This is one of many large drain pipes that empty at the beach. Apparently they connect to the streets and drain the rain water.

No comments:

Post a Comment