Wednesday, March 31, 2010

CANKLES?!

So I'm working out last night and doing the leg press machine (or whatever the technical name may be) and I look down at my ankle and think- "Hm...I never had a fat roll overflowing out of my shoe before...that's new." Being the ever vigilent nurse that I am, I press my thumb into this fat roll and what do you know? My thumb leaves an indentation! Holy hell, I've got pitting edema! I'm hoping it's simply from sitting in class all day and/or putting way more stress than I'm use to on my ankles with all the working out and marching and what not, but ew- cankles. I'll be spending my night with my legs elevated against a wall, in case you were wondering.

Also, today we did an evalutated obstacle course type thing. Each member of the flight had to be the 'leader' and get the team to complete a certain mission. For example, crossing a 'river' (square vat of water) using only a toothbrush, cement block, and pool que (these were not actual items we were given, FYI)- without touching certain 'mined' areas (parts painted red). Generally this means cross the water without falling in and don't touch anything. It's pretty hard actually because none of us are capable of flying. My turn to be a leader ended with a mission complete! (I got all my people across the course) And when I went to get evaluated by the flight commander she said I was her only mission complete all day. Go me!

On a similar note- when another person was leader I was a participant (one of the people that had to get across) which meant I needed to shimy across a rope which had just been tied into place (sounds safe, I know). I got halfway across when the horn blew (time's up). So I'm just-a-danglin there, which was really funny after a minute because I lifted weights the previous night so my arms were already squishy. Add to that the wall climbing, knot tying, team member-lifting I had just done to get to the point I was at, and you end up with me being dangerously close to falling in the water. Luckily I pulled it together and my team member pulled me over the wall by my belt. Close call.

AAANNNNNDDDD today was my day to be flight leader- so all day wherever we went I was the one calling marching orders. Forward march! Column right march! And so on and so forth. I did pretty well too for my first time- I think the guidon bearer only marched into a tree once or twice, so that's good.

I think that just about covers my week thus far. We have another day of obstacles tomorrow so that everyone gets a chance to lead so we'll see what happens.

I had a piece of pie at dinner- my first one since I've been here- and it was delicious.

2 comments:

  1. hahaha... my thumb sinks into my double chin. is there a technical name for that too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. leg warmers are a great way to hide a cankle.

    ReplyDelete