Saturday, May 8, 2010

Mom visits Biloxi

My mom came down to see me this weekend! Actually, I think she was just ready to get rid of my dogs, but I'm going to think that she really missed me. The good news is that the weather was beautiful and I didn't have to work too much. The bad news is that I came down with a fever Thursday night and by Friday it was over 101. I went to the doctor and got a prescription but I'm pretty sure tonsilitis has struck again and it's only a matter of time before I get it for the fourth, that's right, FOURTH time this year. Luckily, I feel okay if you don't count the fever or the feeling of glass being lodged in my throat every time I swallow. Here, however, are the pictures from her visit and a few other things.

This is at the picnic the previous NTP students had for the current students. I took my mom and we ate all sorts of delicious food. (She just didn't want to be in any pictures.)

This is a dead fish we saw on the beach. Most were marked with little flags, I have no idea why. This guy did not have a little flag.

This is my mom wading out to show how far you can go and still only be up to your ankles. She could have gone a good bit farther. I'm not sure why but the water doesn't get deep until you go waaaay out.

Another dead fish. My shoe is there for size comparison. Note the little flag.

Another dead fish!

A dead sea turtle. I could say it's from the oil spill but that'd be a lie since it's not here yet. I really don't know why this guy is here but it appears he's been dead for some time.

These are all the dogs that came to see me. I think they like cruising around my back yard. The house is a little crowded but it's not too bad.

This is the crock pot I bought while my mom was here. Apparently you can cook a lot of delicious meals pretty easily in these things and this one was on sale so it was a win-win situation. The chunk of meat in there is about to become pulled pork. I'll let you know how it goes.

UPDATE:

This is the s'more making fire I built in my backyard fire pit.

My mom and I making our first s'mores!

S'more making is serious business.

But it can also be fun!

S'more self-portrait.

My mom excited to be eating s'mores!

(Side-note: the words in the background were written by the former owner of the house. She was apparently a very 'free spirit' and may or may not be currently living in a renovated school bus down by the ocean. Seriously.)

This was way tastier than the look on my face implies.

My first ever homemade pulled-pork: pre-sauce.

My first ever homemade pulled-pork: post-sauce. Next to my first ever homemade pulled-pork sandwich. I couldn't taste it because of my sore throat but my mom said it was the best pulled-pork sandwich she ever ate. And I'm pretty sure that had nothing to do with the fact her daughter made it- it was just that delicious. I love my mom. Happy Mother's Day!

1 comment:

  1. amazing!!! wish i was there. however, there seems to be a surplus of dead animals on your beach.....

    ReplyDelete